Urban and community health
The health research and evaluation program engages in interdisciplinary community-based participatory research and evaluation. Investigative topics include HIV/AIDS prevention and risk reduction, hypertension and cardiovascular health. The team also conducts formative and summative evaluation of programs that promote parent involvement in educating children with special needs and integration of communicable and infectious disease prevention in community outreach facilities.
As Principal Investigators, Co-Investigators and Evaluators, the team works collaboratively with community organizations and WSU faculty throughout the Department of Family Medicine & Public Health Sciences, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences/Bachelor of Public Health Program, Department of Communication, Department of Emergency Medicine, and Applebaum College of Pharmacy. WSU students at the undergraduate, graduate and professional levels and participate actively in the development of presentations and publications. New projects include evaluation of a healthy urban waters project. Research continues on cardiovascular health education with community health workers, enhanced discharge from emergency departments and primary care for blood pressure control and substance use prevention and risk reduction.
Julie Gleason-Comstock, Ph.D., M.C.H.E.S.
Program Director, Urban Health
Julie Gleason-Comstock, Cindy Bolden Calhoun, Gh.8dirMozgb, Cgrdgll Louis, Alex Hill, Barbara J Locke, Victor, Harrell, Sadia Yasmin, Lipng Zhang, John M Flack, Nancy T Artinian, Jinping Xu. Recruitment, Retention and Future Direction for Heart Health Education and Risk Reduction Intervention Led by Community Health Workers In an African American Majority City. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities. 05/05/2020
- Julie Gleason-Comstock, Using cardiovascular risk profile in a comrnunity heart health outreach intervention. Implications for primary care. Annals of Family Medicine. 01/04/2022;20 (Supplement 1), doi: https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.20sl.2961.
- Gleason-Comstock J, Janisse J, Streater A, Brody A, Goodman A, Zhang L, Mango L, Dawood R, Costello W*, Patton S*, Paranjpe A*, Welch C*, Welch R, Levy P. Efficacy of enhanced emergency discharge for chronic hypertension management; results of a randomized controlled trial. Contemp Clin Trials Commun, 06/2020; 18 (19:100613). PubMed PMID: PMCID:PMC7387778. doi:doi:10.1016/j.conctc.2020,100613. Randomized Controlled Trial NCT02069015 Results @ www.clinicaltrials.gov. Mentored MD/MPH Student Authors: Patton S; Paranjpe A; Welch C.
- Gleason-Comstock J, Streater A, Goodman A, Janisse J, Brody A, Mango L, Dawood R, Levy P. Willingness to pay and willingness to accept in a apatient-centered blood pressure control study. BMC Health Srvices Research. 08/07/2017:17(1):538, PubMed PMID: 28784120. Randomized Controlled Trial
- Julie Gleason-Comstock,PhD, MCHES, Chadir Mozeb, BSPH, Sadia Yasmin, BS, Shala Syeda, Cardell Louis. Importance of HeartB Health Education to African American Adults, DFMPHS 2022 Research Day; Detroit, Michigan. Wyane State Univeristy, Department of Family Medicine & Public Health Sciences; Accepted. www.familymedicine.med.wayne.edu/researchday2022
- Mozeb G*, Diop F*, Vaid W*, Begum J*, Zhang L, Gleason-Comstock J. Patient Activation Measure as an Assemeent Tool for Blood Pressure Control in a Randomized Controlled Trial of Enhanced Emergency Department Discharge. 2020 Department of Family Medicine & Public Health Sciences Reserach Day; 04/2020; Detroit, MI, United States of America Scrolling Poster: Multi-disciplinry (public health, biomedical engineering, urban studies) student research presentation.
- Costello W*, Louis C*, Finney G*, Gleason-Comstock J. Consolidated Standards of Reporting Trials (CONSORT) Design for a community-Based Randomized COntrolled Trial on Blood Pressure Control. WSY SOM Cardiovascular Reserach Institue Conference; 03/2019; Detroit, MI, United Steas of America Student Reserach Smackdown
- Louis C, Finney G*, Costello W*, Gleason-Comstock J, Spannaus T. Detroit HeartBeat2: Prospective design for a community-based randomizes controlled trial. 2019 Department of Family Medicine & Public Health Sciences Research Day; 2019; Detroit, MI, United States of America Mentored medican Student: Louis C
- Gleason-Comstock J, Patton S*, Streater A, Costello W*. Implications of the 2017 American Heart Associationed American College of Cardiology Hypertension Guidelines in the Context of Future Randomized Controlled Trials. 2018 WSU Dept Family Medicine & Public Health Sciences Research Day; 05/2018; Detroit, Michigan, MI, United States of America Mentore MEdical Student: Patton